What's a capsule wardrobe?
In short, it’s building a wardrobe with more pieces that work back with other pieces in your wardrobe so that you always have a multitude of outfit options.
I like to focus on two kinds of capsules:
- The Week Day Capsule. This helps you to create a “uniform” of sorts for your Monday-Friday - so you don’t have to overthink and stress about what to wear.
- The Travel Capsule. Using a capsule formula you can pack for any destination so you always have variety but don’t exceed your luggage allowance.
In this blog post, I'm concentrating on that Monday-Friday capsule.
When you fill your wardrobe with more of the clothes that work WITH each other, work FOR your lifestyle and REFLECT who you are, the less you’ll waste thinking about what to wear.
Having a stress-less week-day wardrobe involves these things:
- Having clothes that work back with multiple items in your wardrobe.
- Having clothes that fit your week-day lifestyle, ie do you work in an office? Are you at home with young kids? Do you run a business that requires a good mix of smart casual pieces?
- Having clothes that are easy care and don't require a complicated washing and ironing situation ... that's why our technical pieces are trans-seasonal winners.
- Having clothes that are comfortable whether you're on the run or sitting at your computer. Life's too short to sacrifice comfort for the everyday.
- Having clothes and/or accessories which express who you are as a human and how you want to show up in this world.
For four years, I've had access to wardrobe capsule foundation pieces - the non-boring basics I've designed and had made just for me - so I know just how stress-free the concept of creating your own “uniform” with quality basics can be.
Every piece in our basics collection is dress-up/dress-down-able. Most mix and match with each other. Everything is suitable for travel. And all provide great canvasses for wearing different shoes, bags and accessories.
I’m sharing below a “typical” week-day uniform mix for me based on pieces from our best-selling basics collection.
Clockwise from top left: Cameo technical top in stone; Tara jersey tank in black; Tracey linen shirt in white; Michelle linen dress in black; Bec technical shorts in black; Sophie technical skirt in stone; Breanna scuba cropped pants in black
Below is how to take those seven pieces and create 15 different outfits. Add in bags, shoes, jewellery and a blazer or two and you have an easy week-day wardrobe uniform that just works.
Here at Styling You The Label, we’re making it even easier to build your everyday or travel wardrobe capsules with our Basics Bundles.
Simply buy two or more pieces from our Basics Collection and you’ll save up to 30% - discount automatically applied at checkout.